How to Handle a Cracked Pipe

Servicing Salt Lake and Utah Counties

handling a cracked pipe

The seasons are changing and the weather is starting to warm up. It is also during this time of the year you might start finding damages to your plumbing. As it gets warmer, your pipes start to expand and any prior damage will become more obvious. Low water pressure, discolored water, puddles near your home, or higher than normal water bills are all indicators that you have a cracked pipe.

If you do have a cracked pipe, it is important to act immediately to minimize damage and conserve water. Here are a few steps you can take while you wait for your plumber:

Step 1: Turn Off the Water

If you have a damaged pipe the best thing to do is to turn the water off. stopping water from traveling through the damaged pipe helps keep the area in better condition, making an easier cleanup. If the pipe has small cracks or a small hole, you can easily make temporary repairs.

Step 2: Run the Faucet

Running the faucet will relieve any pressure that might still be left in the pipe. This relieves stress on the pipe.

Step 3: Clean Up

Time to take action! Start trying to remove water from the affected area. It is important to not allow any further damage to your property and home. Immediately cleaning up and drying out the area is a way you can control the damage.

Step 4: Use Sealant

If the damaged pipe is PVC or some other type of plastic, you can use a sealant to create a temporary seal. Each material has specific sealant for it, make sure you are using the correct type of sealant. Applying sealant incorrectly can result in a pressure build up and create more problems for you, be sure to read the directions before applying.

Step 5: Add Pressure

To help the sealant stay in place, applying some pressure is beneficial. Be careful not to use too much pressure to avoid worsening the damage of the pipe.

Step 6: Call a Plumber

The bottom line is, you need a plumber. A professional can better assess the damage and take appropriate action. They may just replace that one section of pipe or advise replacing the entire pipe.