Everything that goes down your sink, or is flushed down the toilet, poses a threat to your plumbing and sewer lines. Below is a comprehensive list of the most common drain clogging offenders:
- Flushable Wipes
- Cotton Swabs/Cotton Balls
- Plastic or Latex Items
- Personal Hygiene Products
- Cigarette Filters
- Kitchen Waste (i.e. Veggie peels, pasta, lettuce, ground coffee, etc.)
- Dental Floss
- Kitty Litter
- Washer Lint
- Tree Roots
Cleaning All Your Drains
Below are a few simple, yet effective steps for you to take to ensure the protection of your sewer and drain lines.
- Use a wastebasket – when disposing of hair, cotton swabs, plastic & latex items, cigarette butts, personal hygiene products, wipes – even the ones labels as “flushable” or “disposable”, and other trash.
- Wipe grease from pots, pans, & dishes with a paper towel. Then place the greasy paper towel in the wastebasket.
- Use a wastebasket for kitchen waste.
- Install a lint catcher on the washing machine.